Wednesday, November 28, 2007

¡Oedipus Discussion Area #7!

So, it's Friday night at 10:30, and I've just made some popcorn in preparation for a late night viewing of Spiderman 3 (I'm an old man. 10:30 is now late for me)(I back-dated the time of the post to put it in the correct place on the blog). So, I'm making this popcorn, thinking about the movie we watched in class the last two days as well as the subtle, and not so subtle signs of discontent emanating from the figures sitting in the desks in our classroom (those figures would be you). Which got me to thinking. Why does Oedipus Rex hold such a big place in Western literature?

So, my final discussion option for you is, in what ways is Oedipus Rex relevant to 20th century life? What insight can we gain or lessons can we learn from our reading this play. Tee 'em high and let 'em fly.